Our racial justice work is an expression of our msot abiding Jewish values: hesed (loving-kindness), tzedek (justice), tikkun olam (helping mend the planet). In modern Jewish circles, tikkun olam has become synonymous with the notion of social action and the pursuit of social and racial justice.
We are committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusiveness in our congregation and in the world. We are dedicated to advocating for these principles, especially as they affect marginalized groups beyond our own Jewish community.
We explore racial justice issues through study and coming together in a safe space for our members to explore and discuss them, as well as through our actions and partnerships throughout our community.
IMPORTANT Racial Justice Committee MEETING on
NOVEMBER 15, at 7pm via Zoom
Please join us for a discussion on what we can do as a congregation to fight the rising tide of Anti-Semitism that has only increased since October 7,2023 We will be discussing the film Israelisms, the Anti_Semitic posters and graffiti throughout the rogue valley, the columns and letters in the regional media, reaching out to SOU, the status of the anti-semitism proclamation in Medford,and participation in our new affiliation with the ADL through Kulanu. Please join us for this very important meeting so we can hear your voice, and learn where you would like to plug into the efforts. We need all of you!! This is too much for a couple of people to fight alone. For more information please contact Emily Simon at email@example.com
BASE (Black Alliance for Social Empowerment) — BASE is a nonprofit community organization that provides events, community information-sharing, connection, support and resources that work toward the well-being and advancement of Black residents living in Southern Oregon. We supported BASE in the creation of the Southern Oregon Racial Equity Liaison, and will continue to support them to build an inclusive community to combat structural racism that is prevalent today.
– Understanding Anti-Semitism: https://jfrej-web-assets.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/JFREJ-Understanding-Antisemitism-November-2017-v1-3-2.pdf
– Confronting Anti-Semitism and Racism (podcast): https://evolve.fireside.fm/7
– Thoughts on Racism and Antisemitism (article by Rabbi Mordechai Liebling): https://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org/thoughts-on-racism-and-antisemitism/
– A Brief History and Update on Antisemitism (article by Rabbi Mordechai Liebling): https://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org/history-and-update-antisemitism/
– Negroes are Anti-Semitic Because They’re Anti-White (article by James Baldwin): https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/98/03/29/specials/baldwin-antisem.html
– Evolve website, an initiative of Reconstructing Judaism: https://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
– Evolve’s adult education programs: https://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org/adult-education/
– Hashivenu, a podcast about Jewish teachings on resilience: https://hashivenu.fireside.fm/about
– Skin in the Game (article by Eric Ward): https://politicalresearch.org/2017/06/29/skin-in-the-game-how-antisemitism-animates-white-nationalism
– Addressing Antisemitism While Keeping Our Eyes on Collective Freedom and Racial Justice (article by Rachel Hall): https://reformjudaism.org/blog/addressing-antisemitism-while-keeping-our-eyes-collective-freedom-and-racial-justice?utm_medium=email&utm_content=2022_2_10
– Being Antiracist (article suggested by Liora Gale): https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/being-antiracist
– Six Ways to Help Bridge the Racial Wealth Gap (article suggested by Liora Gale): https://www.planning.org/planning/2021/winter/6-ways-to-help-bridge-the-racial-wealth-gap/
– An Imam Blows the Whistle on Muslim Antisemitism (podcast suggested by Liora Gale): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/an-imam-blows-the-whistle-on-muslim-antisemitism/id1570872415?i=1000549160493&fbclid=IwAR0lllILekreM3r6yk8gxSIkJpW1aj45ysVRF7BBXgrOb0jnkV1AhOgYD5k